Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Powell's Across the Pond!



My week with my mom, dad, Chelsey and Nana was great! I hope they had as good of a time as I did. I felt bad though, because I have been raving about how perfect the weather has been and of course as soon as they get here it rains for three days straight! They were good sports though, and we were still able to do all the things we had planned. They were tired when they first got here so we just walked around Galway a bit. Of course, they LOVED Shop St. and we popped into every gift shop in sight. I took them to Monroe's on their first night to see the Set Dancing, which I think they liked.

Wednesday was my last day of classes (yay!) and I met up with them after for dinner at a delicious Italian resteraunt in Salthill. Afterwards, we found a new pub close to their condo, called O'Connor's Famous Pub. It was so cool inside with all sorts of antique decorations hanging all over the walls, I will definitely be going back there at some point. The next day we woke up early to do a Connemara day trip and saw Kylemore Abbey. Nana really liked it there and we got a lot of good pictures. The last time she was here they held a mass for my grandfather, and I can imagine how nice it must have been, the gothic cathedral is so beautiful. That night we went to An Pucan, and listened to some traditional music. Lindsey's family was also here this week, and at one point we were all up dancing to Galway Girl, it was so fun, and the band was great! When we were leaving, Nana, Mary, and I hopped in a bycicle cab and rode it all the way down Shop St. The driver was going wild and kept pretending like he was going to crash the whole way, we were all dying laughing the whole time, it was so much fun!


On Good Friday all the pubs were closed, so we took it easy. We went to mass at St. Nicholas's, and I'm almost postive it was the longest mass I have ever been to! We went out to dinner for fish 'n chips at McDougnah's and hung in for the night.

Saturday I took them to the market in town, (I ended up splurging for both my paintings!) and then headed off to Doolin! The ride was full of emotions, and there was not a dull moment. Dad did a great job at driving on the windy roads of Ireland, as well as on the left side of the road. The roads are so narrow though, and Mom almost had a heart attack every time a tour bus was headed our way. The only major issue was when there was a car behind us, and one coming at us, and a rock that no one noticed in the middle of the road. Dad drove right over it, and we all screamed. We were a little shooken up, and didn't notice the lost hubcap until we made it safely to Doolin.
Once we arrived, we checked into Mikey's cousin, Susan Daley's B&B. She was so nice, and had such a lovely place. She made us some Bailey's coffee's, and sent us right down to Gus O'Connor's Pub. We had such a great night, listening to the music, eating, drinking, and talking. It was such a fun atmosphere, and at one point a little twelve year old boy went right up to the band and asked if he could play along with them. At first he just played his wooden flute, but after some encouragement, he starting belting out Galway Girl. Everyone in the pub stopped what they were doing to listen to him sing, and join in on the chorus. He was so cute!

On Easter Sunday, we woke up for a delicious breakfast and said goodbye to Susan. She pointed us in the direction of church, and then we headed to the Cliffs of Moher. I think they really enjoyed them. It ended up being a gorgeous day and we had a great view of the cliffs. I was so glad it finally wasn't too cloudy or rainy! Once we got back to Galway, Mom and Nana cooked a nice Easter ham and we hung out for their last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment